No comment

MelO

No comment

Post by MelO » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:37 pm

For anyone interested in the whys and wherefores of answering "no comment" under caution, check out the case of Sam Hallam, who suffered years in prison despite being innocent of the crime for which he was found guilty, partly because he was advised to reply "no comment" in his police interview.

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/analysis/g ... 81.article

catkins

Re: No comment

Post by catkins » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Interesting.......... I have no experience of being in a Court and I don't want any :mrgreen: ......I kind of assumed that people saying 'No comment' were hiding something... :s_scratchhead
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

MelO

Post by MelO » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm

It seems no one on the Justice Forum reads this forum anymore as as one of them is claiming that there isn't a single cite of an innocent person refusing to answer police questions. Perhaps someone on here who posts there can provide the link to the case I provided on this thread (though no doubt there will be some spurious reason for deciding it's not a valid example).

Carana

Post by Carana » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

I haven't read your link yet, Mel, but will do.

I find the Stephen - Davel show boring to wade through, and so I don't often bother any more.

I've been hunting for a YouTube video of a US defense attorney and a former police officer explaining precisely why one should STFU. I've posted it before, but I can't find it for the moment.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Carana wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

I find the Stephen - Davel show boring to wade through, and so I don't often bother any more.

I've been hunting for a YouTube video of a US defense attorney and a former police officer explaining precisely why one should STFU. I've posted it before, but I can't find it for the moment.
Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:02 pm

honestbroker1 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 pm
Carana wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
Thanks, HB. I finally found it this morning. Yes, that one.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I can understand how suspicious it sounds if someone invokes the 5th amendment - I used to think so as well.

I can, however, understand it if you have reason to suspect that you're going to be stitched up.

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm

There's also this, from a former FBI agent known for his interest in the Knox saga.

http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/FBI7.html

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am

CONCLUSION

This is an innocent college girl subjected to the most aggressive and heinous interrogation techniques the police could utilize (yet not leave marks.) She became confused, she empathized with her captors, she doubted herself in some ways, but in the end her strength of character and her unshakable knowledge of her innocence carried her through. It’s time that the real criminals were prosecuted.
Hmmm!