Record level of animal cruelty shared on Snapchat

catkins

Record level of animal cruelty shared on Snapchat

Post by catkins » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:16 pm

http://news.sky.com/story/record-level- ... t-11079733

Reports soar of animal cruelty being shared on the social network and some examples are so bad that even the RSPCA is shocked.

By Enda Brady, Sky News Correspondent

The number of cases of animal cruelty being filmed and shared on Snapchat has rocketed by 340% in the past year, according to new figures released by the RSPCA.

Animal welfare campaigners believe that the biggest offenders are children who not only carry out the abuse and record it, but then share it with their friends via the messaging service.

In 2015, the charity received 27 reports of this kind of abuse being shared on Snapchat, but a year later that had shot up to 69. So far this year 119 complaints (a rise of 340%) have been reported and there are still three months of the year left.

"It's as shocking as it is disturbing and what's really saddening is that this abuse is mostly being committed by children," an RSPCA intelligence researcher, who works covertly to gather evidence for prosecutions, told Sky News.

"These children are then sharing the videos and pictures with their peers. Some days it's very difficult to get those images out of my head."

Some of the images passed to Sky News by the RSPCA were too disturbing to broadcast. When the charity receives the material it works diligently to find out where it was filmed - and by whom - before then contacting schools, teachers and parents.

At the Hopefield Animal Sanctuary in Brentwood, staff are still reeling after intruders broke in and abused some of their animals in August.

"We've had three cases of people breaking in," said manager Lianne Angliss.

"We were alerted by a supporter who had seen on Snapchat that someone had come down and grabbed Nathan, one of our goats, by the horns and pulled him onto the electric fence.

"She sent us that picture.

"There was another video where they pushed one of the pigs over and scared the horses.

"The lady that sent them to us just screenshotted them, as most people know Snapchat is not forever, so we would have been unable to get the footage.

"Nathan is a little bit subdued, he'd normally come up and say hello.

"He's not coming up so much now, he's probably scared to death."

So why has the number of incidents being reported risen so dramatically in such a short space of time?

"For some people it will be sinister and they will want to relive the event over and over again," said Dr Pam Ramsden, a psychology lecturer at the University of Bradford.

"Other people who will do it are trying to impress people with how cruel they can be. People have always done this. The difference now is that they can show a wider audience, as opposed to two or three lads doing something terrible, they can show a group of 20 people at the pub."

In a statement, Snapchat said: "This sort of cruelty is illegal and should never be broadcast on Snapchat. We encourage anyone who sees something like this anywhere to always report it."

What the hell is wrong with these people?????? :s_mad
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Whiterose

Re: Record level of animal cruelty shared on Snapchat

Post by Whiterose » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm

The posts on snapchat need to be monitored and these people who do such unbelievable cruel things to defenceless animals, reported to the police. :s_sad
"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."

Epictetus

catkins

Post by catkins » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Totally agree with you Whiterose.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.

Hael

Post by Hael » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Whiterose wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm
The posts on snapchat need to be monitored and these people who do such unbelievable cruel things to defenceless animals, reported to the police. :s_sad
Most definitely.
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:18 am

Whiterose wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:53 pm
The eternal nature versus nurture debate.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am

I can't bring myself to look at stuff like this it really upsets me I get such a horrible knot in my stomach. How anyone could call this entertainment is unbelievable.
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Alibongo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am
I can't bring myself to look at stuff like this it really upsets me I get such a horrible knot in my stomach. How anyone could call this entertainment is unbelievable.
I read the article.

The problem is how to how to stop it from happening and how to deal with these people.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm not on snapchat........but it begs the question....What the hell is wrong with these people?... :s_mad

Whiterose

Post by Whiterose » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Carana wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm
Alibongo wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am
I read the article.

The problem is how to how to stop it from happening and how to deal with these people.

The way to stop it is for the people who receive it to report it, otherwise they are just as bad as the person/s who do the actual abuse. It's just evil, these people must be sick in the head.
"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."

Epictetus