Crimewatch axed

Carana

Crimewatch axed

Post by Carana » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

BBC axes Crimewatch after 33-year run

Thousands of crimes were featured on the show, including the murders of James Bulger and Damilola Taylor.

http://news.sky.com/story/bbc-axes-crim ... n-11084764

:s_sad
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

honestbroker1

Re: Crimewatch axed

Post by honestbroker1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Carana wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Thousands of crimes were featured on the show, including the murders of James Bulger and Damilola Taylor.

Former counter-terror detective David Videcette tweeted: "The internet is a much better medium for crime solving than television. The times have changed, and Crimewatch doesn't cut it with viewers anymore."

I guess that's the key paragraph.

So long as the function it performed of assisting in efforts to combat crime continues, maybe not such a sad loss.

Carana

Post by Carana » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:38 pm

honestbroker1 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 pm
Carana wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Former counter-terror detective David Videcette tweeted: "The internet is a much better medium for crime solving than television. The times have changed, and Crimewatch doesn't cut it with viewers anymore."

I guess that's the key paragraph.

So long as the function it performed of assisting in efforts to combat crime continues, maybe not such a sad loss.

I don't see how, though, HB. Yes, Twitter / FB can issue missing person alerts, etc., but it's often the background with the reconstructions that help job people's memories.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

catkins

Post by catkins » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Typical BBC......cancel a useful programme instead of one of the Antique/ value your junk progs ....of which there are a few :Bang_head
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Whiterose

Post by Whiterose » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:57 am

Judging by all the phone calls they said they got, it was a very useful programme for catching criminals, don't understand it at all :s_sad
"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."

Epictetus

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am

You just know Haverns loonies will be claiming they have the BBC running scared :snig:

:s_crazy
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 am

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ch-and-why

The cancellation of long-running shows often prompts outrage from viewers. However, Crimewatch’s content is now so replicated elsewhere that its axe-killer, Moore, seems unlikely to suffer too many nightmares over what she has done.

To be read in conjunction with the second paragraph of the article:
In this case, please don’t phone, email or tweet us your suspicions. It is already known that the slaying of Crimewatch was carried out by Charlotte Moore, a 49-year-old BBC director of content from the W1A area. Her motive is interesting. Forensic television criticism suggests that the following issues combined to end the life of the veteran franchise.

catkins

Post by catkins » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm

Alibongo wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:18 am
You just know Haverns loonies will be claiming they have the BBC running scared :snig:

:s_thumbsup ....more likely than not........ :mrgreen:
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Whiterose

Post by Whiterose » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm

catkins wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm
Alibongo wrote:

They will probably add it to the 'McCann curse' :s_crazy
"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."

Epictetus

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:01 pm

catkins wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm
Alibongo wrote:

"The ease of texting or tweeting means that the show is now more at risk of the pet theories of sofa detectives.

The survival of Crimewatch Roadshow, in which the detectives engage directly with members of the public, can partly be attributed to this format being less vulnerable to amateur Sherlocks."