Foto fits ....

honestbroker1

Foto fits ....

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Who, meeting either man fleetingly and as a complete stranger would be able to produce a fotofit of (for example) Robert Murat or David Payne that would enable anyone, with confidence, and from the fotofit alone, to differentiate the two.

Obviously neither man is remotely implicated in anything remotely untoward, but that is not at all my point.

My point is about the limitation of fotofits (generally)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rober ... gfGLMVmrKM:

Also the potential danger of them (fotofits).

They can (potentially) implicate innocent people, even associated with a crime scene.

Carana

Re: Foto fits ....

Post by Carana » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:12 pm

honestbroker1 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 pm
Who, meeting either man fleetingly and as a complete stranger would be able to produce a fotofit of (for example) Robert Murat or David Payne that would enable anyone, with confidence, and from the fotofit alone, to differentiate the two.

Obviously neither man is remotely implicated in anything remotely untoward, but that is not at all my point.

My point is about the limitation of fotofits (generally)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rober ... gfGLMVmrKM:

Also the potential danger of them (fotofits).

They can (potentially) implicate innocent people, even associated with a crime scene.
Yes, of course, particularly when the media may have contributed to a subtle, or not so subtle, brainwashing.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

catkins

Post by catkins » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I think our "brains" see things differently.......If you HB.....Carana and Myself...were at the same place and were asked to describe the person who had just walked past us....we would probably give different views...imo
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:48 pm

catkins wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 pm
I think our "brains" see things differently.......If you HB.....Carana and Myself...were at the same place and were asked to describe the person who had just walked past us....we would probably give different views...imo
Yes, there have been research studies on that. I've posted links that I found fascinating, including video clips of brilliantly simulated "crimes" with unsuspecting "witnesses", but I'm hopeless at finding links again. :s_biggrin

I went to my corner shop less than half an hour ago. I could tell you who was definitely in the shop, but I couldn't tell you precisely at what time I was there.

Neither could I possibly say who'd I'd passed on the way, nor who else I blithely walked past once inside.

If the police came and asked me right now, there's one person in the shop who I assume is the same person, for various reasons and who is very often there, but as this person was chatting to someone, I didn't pay much attention.

Could I now swear that it was indeed her and not someone else who I had assumed to be her? No. I'd have to say somewhere between 60-80% sure, but although I see her very often, it's most certainly not someone I may have just seen on TV once or twice in my recent life and in which the stress of the news could affect my recollection.
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin