Trump

Carana

Re: Trump

Post by Carana » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Worth a read: donations under $8k don't go to the legal defense fund...

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-usa- ... NKBN27R30B
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Post by Carana » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

50 Ways to Leave the White House. :s_biggrin

"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Trump's efforts to force a re-count do seem to be going nowhere.

This is from Washington Post:
It was a crystallizing moment in our current political reality: The president, staring down an increasingly likely reelection loss, saw one of his favorite conspiracy theories about his 2020 opponent crumble. As we were learning that, he was lodging even-more far-flung and desperate conspiracy theories.

Trump has regularly grasped at conspiracy theories seeking to damage his political opponents. But even by his standards, his recent efforts have been remarkable.

How QAnon, the bizarre pro-Trump conspiracy theory, took hold in right-wing circles online
QAnon, a baseless conspiracy theory, is fueled by right-wing outrage online and in the real world. (Elyse Samuels/The Washington Post)
The Washington Post reported Tuesday evening that a Trump-backed Justice Department probe into the unmasking of Michael Flynn and others had quietly closed with no criminal charges or even a report to substantiate Trump’s and his allies’ allegations of a Watergate-style conspiracy. But on the same day, Trump was promoting the idea that the Obama administration, including Joe Biden, had members of the U.S. military murdered and that the official story of Osama bin Laden’s killing was a hoax.

AD
That might sound like an oversimplification, but it’s precisely what Trump chose to promote Tuesday.

One retweet alleged that Biden and former president Barack Obama “may have had Seal Team 6 killed” and that a “CIA Whistleblower Exposes Biden’s Alleged Role with the Deaths of Seal Team- Claims to have Documented Proof.”

Another suggested that the CIA kept bin Laden in Iran before having him transferred to Pakistan for Obama’s “trophy kill” ahead of the 2012 election.

As the Daily Beast’s Will Sommer documents, though, the elaborately constructed and completely unsubstantiated theory also holds that bin Laden wasn’t even killed — but rather that Iran provided a body double and the U.S. government shot down a helicopter with Navy SEALs in it to cover it all up. It also links the 2012 tragedy in Benghazi, Libya, to the supposed coverup. The source is a man who claims ties to powerful Middle Eastern figures.

AD
The first tweet Trump retweeted no longer appears on Twitter and appears to have been removed. The second remains.

Robert O’Neill, a member of SEAL Team 6 who has written about his role in bin Laden’s death and has since become a Trump-supporting conservative media figure, rebuked the Trump-promoted conspiracy theory Tuesday.

“Very brave men said good bye to their kids to go kill Osama bin Laden. We were given the order by President Obama,” O’Neill tweeted. “It was not a body double. Thank you Mr. President.”

Trump on Tuesday also retweeted a self-described independent journalist who alleged that a man who shot a conservative protester in Colorado was affiliated with antifa. (Trump also retweeted a graphic GIF featuring a series of photos that captured the killing.) But the Denver Police Department has said it had determined that “the suspect is a private security guard with no affiliation with antifa.” The independent journalist’s evidence that they actually were? Following an Occupy Wall Street Twitter account — among many they followed — that mentioned antifa in its profile.

AD
Trump’s retweet calls to mind a similar instance in which he promoted a theory that the elderly man who was knocked over by law enforcement in Buffalo and bled from his head “could be an ANTIFA provocateur.” There remains nothing to substantiate that claim.

Also on Tuesday, Trump retweeted a user who baselessly alleged that CNN “was already planning his funeral” after Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis.

And last week, Trump retweeted someone who accused Hillary Clinton of having “planned, financed, & executed the Russia hoax.” The basis of that claim was a letter from Trump’s director of national intelligence, John Ratcliffe, which said the intelligence community “obtained insight into Russian intelligence analysis” alleging that Clinton had “approved a campaign plan to stir up a scandal against U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump by tying him to Putin and the Russians’ hacking of the Democratic National Committee.” But the same letter flatly states in the very next sentence that, “The IC does not know the accuracy of this allegation or the extent to which the Russian intelligence analysis may reflect exaggeration or fabrication.”

AD
In other words, this is a completely unsubstantiated claim — but one that Trump in a series of tweets promoted as fact.

If anything should reinforce just how discerning Trump is with these conspiracy theories, it’s the other thing that happened Tuesday. As The Washington Post’s Matt Zapotosky and Shane Harris reported:

The federal prosecutor appointed by Attorney General William P. Barr to review whether Obama-era officials improperly requested the identities of individuals whose names were redacted in intelligence documents has completed his work without finding any substantive wrongdoing, according to people familiar with the matter.
The revelation that U.S. Attorney John Bash, who left the department last week, had concluded his review without criminal charges or any public report will rankle President Trump at a moment when he is particularly upset at the Justice Department. The department has so far declined to release the results of Bash’s work, though people familiar with his findings say they would likely disappoint conservatives who have tried to paint the “unmasking” of names — a common practice in government to help understand classified documents — as a political conspiracy.
Trump’s allies have long complained that the Russia investigation was based upon a similarly baseless conspiracy theory. In that case, though, there was extensive evidence of contacts between the Trump campaign and Russia, including documented cases of members of the Trump campaign working with a Russian intelligence officer and welcoming opposition research from a Russian lawyer tied to Vladimir Putin. What’s more, it revealed significant evidence of Trump’s potential obstruction of justice (though special counsel Robert S. Mueller III decided that it wasn’t his place to accuse Trump of an actual crime). The Justice Department inspector general, Michael Horowitz, has said the Russia investigation was properly predicated.

AD
Trump has compared the unmasking to Watergate, folding it into an often nebulous conspiracy theory he has dubbed “Obamagate.” The fact that his own Justice Department — one whose head, Attorney General William P. Barr, has regularly taken controversial, Trump-friendly actions — doesn’t seem to have found anything even worthy of charges should certainly color any views of the reliability of Trump’s theories.

That said, for Trump, it has always been about throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks. It’s getting more transparently desperate, though.

Updated October 15, 2020
Election 2020: What to know
Follow live updates on the election here.

In the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, Democratic nominee Joe Biden leads President Trump, with 54 percent of likely voters favoring him vs. 42 percent for Trump.

How to vote: Find out the rules in your state. Some states have already started sending out mail ballots; see how to make sure yours counts. Absentee and mail ballots are two terms for the same thing, mostly used interchangeably. Barring a landslide, we may not have a result in the presidential election on Nov. 3. Are you running into voting problems? Let us know.

Electoral college map: Who actually votes, and who do they vote for? Explore how shifts in turnout and voting patterns for key demographic groups could affect the presidential race.

Policy: Where Biden and Trump stand on key issues defining the election.

Battlegrounds: These are the 50 political states of America. Dive into Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Florida, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Arizona, Georgia, Texas and Ohio, and sign up for The Trailer and get more states, plus more news and insight from the trail, in your inbox three days a week.

Coming up: Trump and Biden are scheduled to debate one more time this fall; here’s what to know about the 2020 presidential debates.

jjbd

Post by jjbd » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm

"Trump campaign cuts ties with attorney Sidney Powell after bizarre election fraud claims"

She has been held up as a light for truth by many.

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 pm

jjbd wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:17 pm
"Trump campaign cuts ties with attorney Sidney Powell after bizarre election fraud claims"

She has been held up as a light for truth by many.
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-55040756

Carana

Post by Carana » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:44 am

When even Tucker Carlson of Fox News couldn't cope with Sydney Powell...

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:20 pm

In summary Trump has had his chips.

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Re: Biden’s age, the post war generation in this country is hellbent on continuing their gerontocracy and pulled all the government programs and funding they used for their education, first houses, etc up behind them and enriched themselves on my Gen x’s and my generation’s back. So you’re going to see *countless* candidates in their 70s for ages. Sanders is the same age as Biden, trump and warren are the same age and there are baby boomers whining that even thought they’ve had presidents born in the 1940s and 1960s, and many of them, the ones born in the 1950s got skipped. The millennials are the only generation that is larger than the baby boomers and the eldest is only 38. Gen X was small and they easily crushed them.

Every single one of the GOP’s challenges was completely and totally made up and the federal courts, including numerous judges appointed by conservative presidents, treated it that way. And their unhinged behavior cost them the GeorgIa Senate seats.

I’m in hell. How are you all?
The best thing to happen to a criminal is to have Pat Brown profile the crime; you'll never get caught!

Carana

Post by Carana » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:26 am

Count your blessings that you're getting rid of Trump. (Brexit is only just starting over the pond and sure as hell won't end any time soon.)

Ok, Biden is elderly, as are the others you mentioned. On the other hand, he's unlikely to stand for a second term and so far he seems to have done a reasonable job of ensuring diversity (and hopefully competence) in his nominees. I wouldn't expect youthful dynamism from him, but at least a sense of stability and a gentle nudge back towards a more centrist approach. Pete Buttagieg is 38, so hardly over the hill.

Over in Georgia, Ossoff is only 33...

Carana

Post by Carana » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:43 am

A lot of people (including myself) are wondering why the hell there was such a lack of security around the Capitol.

Varying hypotheses:

Trump staged a coup:
https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/trump ... ice-2021-1

A WaPo one (paywall - can't access it), seemingly intimating from comments that Trump had insiders in place:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

Concerns over the "optics" of having a visible military presence and an initially narrow mission of simply handling traffic around the Trump rally:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/penta ... qcHKyCC-00

The Pentagon seemingly HAD offered assistance, in view of signals, but the Capitol Police had only envisaged a free-speech event.
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... SocialFlow

And a bit more reading:
https://apnews.com/article/trump-25th-a ... _medium=AP

Carana

Post by Carana » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:13 am

A few more bits:

A call to "patriots" to come back - armed - on Jan 19:
https://twitter.com/doomedparade/status ... 66/photo/1

Someone, early on, with a holstered gun and zip ties:
https://twitter.com/erik_lassi/status/1 ... 49/photo/1

An allegation by a cop that some off-duty cops and military were protesting as well:
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/0 ... doj-456178

While the heads were dithering, one poor cop was on his own for a while:
https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/13 ... 9274478594

---

One of the female protestors (thread):
https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1 ... 3323394048

The female protestor who got shot (and has since died):
https://twitter.com/Ashli_Babbitt/statu ... 2458725377

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:01 pm

Trump was never going to leave quietly, he still has enough time left to do a lot of damage.
The lack of security was intentional IMO, Trump had been bragging he had something big planned at the time of Bidens electoral confirmation.
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Carana

Post by Carana » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:33 am

Wow!

See new Tweets
@realDonaldTrump
Account suspended
Twitter suspends accounts which violate the Twitter Rules

Looks like this girl can relax now. :s_biggrin

Carana

Post by Carana » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 am

What we could all see from the outside wasn't nearly as bad as some of the scenes inside. Warning: some scenes are distressing.

Carana

Post by Carana » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:18 pm

Alibongo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:01 pm
Trump was never going to leave quietly, he still has enough time left to do a lot of damage.
The lack of security was intentional IMO, Trump had been bragging he had something big planned at the time of Bidens electoral confirmation.
So far 5 dead and calls by his fanatic supporters to find and execute Pence (plus potentially others) by hanging (I've seen the pic of the gallows being hoisted).

Re security... still not clear to me. Could have simply been a total clusterf*uck in terms of assessment of potential threat, compounded by unclear chain of command with no back-up plan if things happened to get nasty, plus an unwillingness to have the military visible... BUT I'm now revisiting that idea.

It now seems as if there was some infiltration in security and an organized element within the mob.

Carana

Post by Carana » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:57 pm

AFAIK, this guy's legit. Extraordinary thread.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/13 ... 3101998080

jjbd

Post by jjbd » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 pm

by Verdi Today at 15:04
He sure did keep his promise yes and with great panache if I might add.

He's got oodles of charisma which is more than you can say for the grin on a stick that's stolen the White House.

Right back at you Mr President salute

NB: It's Presdident Trump Mr BBC, not the Trump presidency - show some respect!

A sad day for the United States of America .... and the rest of the world.
Presdident lol :s_crazy show some respect.

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 am

Carana wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:26 am
Count your blessings that you're getting rid of Trump. (Brexit is only just starting over the pond and sure as hell won't end any time soon.)

Ok, Biden is elderly, as are the others you mentioned. On the other hand, he's unlikely to stand for a second term and so far he seems to have done a reasonable job of ensuring diversity (and hopefully competence) in his nominees. I wouldn't expect youthful dynamism from him, but at least a sense of stability and a gentle nudge back towards a more centrist approach. Pete Buttagieg is 38, so hardly over the hill.

Over in Georgia, Ossoff is only 33...
1 more day!!!!!
The best thing to happen to a criminal is to have Pat Brown profile the crime; you'll never get caught!

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 am

jjbd wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:38 pm
by Verdi Today at 15:04
He sure did keep his promise yes and with great panache if I might add.

He's got oodles of charisma which is more than you can say for the grin on a stick that's stolen the White House.

Right back at you Mr President salute

NB: It's Presdident Trump Mr BBC, not the Trump presidency - show some respect!

A sad day for the United States of America .... and the rest of the world.

Presdident lol :s_crazy show some respect.
It sounded better in the original Russian.

It’s incredible that these people are so incapable of independent Joe Biden, a public figure for 50 years known for his warmth and being voluble, talkative, etc. can get recast like this because that’s what Fox News said

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am

For all of us, but with a special thought for Blu. :s_wink

honestbroker1

Post by honestbroker1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:28 am

Video unavailable.

Probably just as well

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:58 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am

Honestly, it’s such a mental relief. I feel emotionally exhausted... the stress in the beginning of his tenure, like janaury - March 2017 was insanity. Calling your senator every day, waking up to things that took place overnight, etc. I feel like the knight that greets Indiana Jones at the end of the last crusade.

And also for the record I genuinely like and admire Joe Biden. What you see is what you get. He has some major mistakes in his past political career but largely pre 1996 and the election of Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House since that’s the event that really radicalized the GOP as the anti government party. Biden has a record that can be criticized because he’s a known quantity and has been for 40 years. I prefer that to these grown in a lab hidden away never participated in government types.

jjbd

Post by jjbd » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:14 pm

Anthony Bennett
@zampos
You've done a great job BCP. The problem is that the #Democrats & #DeepState have planned & executed a coup by the most fraudulent actions imaginable using ballot-stuffing & Dumb Onion machines.

Hard times ahead. Keep your viewers informed about ALL incidents of election fraud.
It really is laugh a minute time :s_biggrin

It really goes to show that once a person with so called supporters gets something wrong - they go onto to get EVERYTHING wrong and their effing supporters follow in the darkness.

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:24 pm

Aric Toler (from Bellingcat) keeping an eye on the Q lot's reactions: https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/13 ... 3238433796

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:44 pm

bluj1515 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:58 pm
Carana wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:06 am

Honestly, it’s such a mental relief. I feel emotionally exhausted... the stress in the beginning of his tenure, like janaury - March 2017 was insanity. Calling your senator every day, waking up to things that took place overnight, etc. I feel like the knight that greets Indiana Jones at the end of the last crusade.

And also for the record I genuinely like and admire Joe Biden. What you see is what you get. He has some major mistakes in his past political career but largely pre 1996 and the election of Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House since that’s the event that really radicalized the GOP as the anti government party. Biden has a record that can be criticized because he’s a known quantity and has been for 40 years. I prefer that to these grown in a lab hidden away never participated in government types.
I can well imagine the relief. It's been quite a roller-coaster.

It felt really surreal to see the ceremony in the Capitol just two weeks after the mob attack. Aside from the apparently very real danger to members of Congress, it must have been awful to see the desecration of a place that's almost sacred.