Trump

Carana

Trump

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Just a thread for thoughts and (if possible) reliable info...
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Re: Trump

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:20 pm

Ok... a few funnies.

Russell Howard on a convo between Trump and Farage and more...

"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Comedian Sarah Cooper's take on Trump's suggestions as to internal use of disinfectants and UV-C light to wipe out Covid:

She's just lip-synching, but he really did express those suggestions on a live Coronavirus news slot:

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Whether Biden wins is not, the country is not a democracy and there is no end in sight. Remember, the republicans are not winning the vote totals. They’re losing the total vote by substantial margins. And still this.

I believe that the President’s campaign believes he lost Pennsylvania. Whether he actually did, we don’t know yet. But the speech last night and his behavior suggests he knows it’s more likely than not. We know there are enough outstanding early voting ballots to swing the presidency.

Other than that, what is there to like? A majority of white Americans do not believe in western style democracy and prefer to live in a Soviet style authoritarian regime so long as they get to be first in the breadline. Being born white in this country in even the crappiest places is hitting the world lottery but somehow living what used to be a normal middle class life (not the British middle class which we would call here like the upper middle class or academics) where you work and tell your children to do well in school and live in a house you can afford in a town you can afford that might not be as fancy as a town a few towns over is a great greveiance to these people, groomed for 30 years by Murdoch media to believer they are entitled to everything and being denied it all.

I am overwhelmed by the massive amount of organizing and boots on the ground that is going to be necessary to even remotely keep up with this. Turnout was the highest it has been in decades. Every election for the foreseeable future will now be this wrought.
The best thing to happen to a criminal is to have Pat Brown profile the crime; you'll never get caught!

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Have you read "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, Blu?

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:03 pm

One of the most astounding recent voxpops in the US (might have been a Jordan Klepper interview). I think it might have been the "civil liberty" issue around wearing a mask. This (non-masker?) angry woman turned around and said: "The USA is not a Democracy, it's a Republic".

It took me a moment to work out what she meant. :s_biggrin

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:14 pm

I thought it might have been Alex Crawford's clip, but it doesn't seem so.

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:58 pm
Have you read "Becoming" by Michelle Obama, Blu?
No but I saw her speak about it
The best thing to happen to a criminal is to have Pat Brown profile the crime; you'll never get caught!

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:03 pm
One of the most astounding recent voxpops in the US (might have been a Jordan Klepper interview). I think it might have been the "civil liberty" issue around wearing a mask. This (non-masker?) angry woman turned around and said: "The USA is not a Democracy, it's a Republic".

It took me a moment to work out what she meant. :s_biggrin
This is a talking point they repeat constantly with absolutely no understanding of either. It is a parroted conservative talking point. It is also something you learn in social studies in the 2nd grade but that expects too much from these people.

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:27 pm

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Geez. Nutty Giuliani ranting about law suits over mail-in votes.
Last edited by Carana on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:59 pm

Why are the mail-in votes predominantly from Democrats? More cautious about queuing during Covid? Or wary of being harrassed by far-right nutters?

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:59 pm
Why are the mail-in votes predominantly from Democrats? More cautious about queuing during Covid? Or wary of being harrassed by far-right nutters?
Democrats went hard on mail in ballots early and got them in early because of COVID concerns. Until this election, in Pennsylvania, you could not vote by mail without an excuse.

In spite of the fact that Republican dominance in places like Florida is built entirely on vote by mail, the President, who voted by mail, told his followers not to do it and it couldn’t be trusted.

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:03 pm

Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Very willing to get in a time machine and go back to 2000 and stop the 85th recount of Floridian votes armed with the suddenly
willingness of Republicans to not count ballots for the first time.

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Why Trump Can’t Afford to Lose

The President has survived one impeachment, twenty-six accusations of sexual misconduct, and an estimated four thousand lawsuits. That run of good luck may well end, perhaps brutally, if Joe Biden wins.

By Jane Mayer
November 1, 2020
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... rd-to-lose

Carana

Post by Carana » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 pm

bluj1515 wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:03 pm
Carana wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 pm

Very willing to get in a time machine and go back to 2000 and stop the 85th recount of Floridian votes armed with the suddenly
willingness of Republicans to not count ballots for the first time.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
16m
We have claimed, for Electoral Vote purposes, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (which won’t allow legal observers) the State of Georgia, and the State of North Carolina, each one of which has a BIG Trump lead. Additionally, we hereby claim the State of Michigan if, in fact,.....

Twitter: Official sources may not have called the race when this was Tweeted

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Twitter: Some or all of the content shared in this Tweet is disputed and might be misleading about an election or other civic process. Learn more

Replying to
@realDonaldTrump
.....there was a large number of secretly dumped ballots as has been widely reported!

Twitter: Learn about US 2020 election security efforts
10:56 PM · Nov 4, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 0141082624

bluj1515

Post by bluj1515 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:38 pm

What is being counted are mail in and drop box votes that were received before Election Day and on Election Day. He knows it. They know it. There’s no secret stashes. They were in track to lose PA and have been setting this up with the help of the Republican state legislature for weeks. We were not allowed to open the envelopes until 7 AM yesterday and were not allowed to count the ballots until the polls closed yesterday.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:17 am

I gather that laws vary from state to state as to when they can start counting votes. I'd have thought it would take the pressure off if they could have started earlier.

Is this their choice or did they unsuccessfully attempt to change it?

Scrap that, I just reread your comment. :s_sad

Pulling every dirty trick in the book.

I saw (late last night for me) a small crowd outside one poll-counting station, apparently demanding access to "monitor" votes. But, my understanding is that there are both Dem and Republican counters who both check, plus certified supervisors. And technology has somewhat moved on since the "chad" episode.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:56 am

I've been bewildered by his choice of music.

I did wonder as to the choice of the YMCA song. Surely, he and his team would have realised what the YMCA song was about? Or was the refrain of "... Young man..." the main communication message? Seems the section of his anti-gay, etc., base didn't actually care. For once.

And did anyone reflect on the other song played? Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son?? :s_omg :rofl-1: :rofl-1:

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:06 pm

:rofl-1:

https://twitter.com/JORGE_C_NY/status/1 ... 3151385601

Trum's "spiritual advisor"... who never stops plugging for donations to her "church" for those in the back.

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:41 pm

:snig:
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Sorry, wrong link. The spiritual adviser one is this:

https://twitter.com/RichardBoorman/stat ... 3510552576

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Why a Muslim supposedly can't be a member of Congress.

Priceless. :s_biggrin

https://twitter.com/GorillaMamaWho/stat ... 5456777216

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:44 pm

More on Trump's personal spiritual adviser (presumably still a White House staffer).

Maybe she could have told him to hold up the Bible the right way in that photo op... Just a thought.

Carana

Post by Carana » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:03 pm

David Fahrenthold is the journalist (Washington Post, Pulitzer-prize winner) I was thinking of who's been checking into Trump finances.

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold

Not what I watched a few weeks ago, but an interview with him on his investigation into Trump "charitable" foundation.