Oscar Pistorius South Africa murder trial set for March

Hael

Re: Oscar Pistorius South Africa murder trial set for March

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:03 am

The media reports on this case are irrelevant, Nel says. Nobody forced Pistorius to read them. They should have no bearing.
Alex Crawford @AlexCrawfordSky
Follow
#PistoriusTrial Nel reminds us OP has a 'black book' where he lists the journalists who he believes are negative towards him
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 am

Judge Masipa intervenes: “You can take it from me,” she tells Nel, “all those paragraphs [on media coverage] will be disregarded.”
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 am

andrew harding ✔ @BBCAndrewH
Follow
Nel suggests #OscarPistorius has only himself to blame if he chooses to follow negative media coverage of his own trial.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:05 am

'Only reasonable sentence is incarceration'

Nel: We argue that the only, but only, reasonable sentence would be a long-term incarceration.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 am

Addressing 4 shots fired, not one, not a warning shot, but 4 shots fired.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 am

Why will the court deal with this accused differently.... Nel stresses....he continues...

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:10 am

Talking about OP's employment and other circumstances should he 'sit at home'.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 am

Hael wrote:Talking about OP's employment and other circumstances should he 'sit at home'.
Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan
Follow
Nel: we have a denial almost that Pistorius will go back to athletics. He may work for his uncle, or not. @eNCAnews #OscarTrial
Nel addressing the courts duty.
The correctional service has a duty to impose the courts instructions.
If there is a problem, they can come back to court and make adjustments.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 am

Nel disputes claims that Pistorius’s prosthetic legs could be taken from him in prison. But, he adds, “with respect”, it is not the court’s role to decide on prison conditions, only on a suitable sentence.

If prisons can’t cater for him, we’ll come back to court, he says.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 am

The matter is so serious, society demands imprisonment. And see the accused unfit to possess a fire arm again.

Judge asks Mr Nel about prison term.

Nel submits a minimum term of 10 years imprisonment.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am

The prosecutor now wants to address Roux’s references to ubuntu (for a definition, see here). This case is too serious for such a principle, Nel says. It is not relevant. He dispenses with this very quickly.
Roux is disputing - 5 corrections.

*no rail in bathroom - there is a bench/pedestal in shower substitutes the rail.
*payments - press release of payments, offering the money was not a ploy to lessen sentence
*video - construction of the events release...was planned to make it easy for the court. There were inaccuracies, the media were threatened and none was released (not sure what this is, missed a bit).
*employment - measures are taken to get him employment, he will not just sit at home.
*instructive page 81 by another Judge, small cases... was a murder matter not a small case.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:20 am

Nel up again, about the rails in shower. The bench was not mentioned before, now saying, if he goes to prison he can also get a little bench (same as his house).

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am

Judge now thanking both parties.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am

Reconvene on Tuesday 21st at 09:30. Court adjourned.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:23 am

Nel is finished. Roux has some points he wants to counter.

He says that in the shower room of Pistorius’s home, he has a bench to sit on rather than rails.

The money offered to the Steenkamps was done privately and not in expectation of a lesser sentence.

He refers to the video reconstruction of the killing made by the Pistorius team: that was never intended for public viewing and should not have been used by the media, he says.

That’s it from Roux.
Nel springs up again: if all Pistorius needs in the shower is a “little bench … we can take a little bench to any prison”.

He is done now too.
:s_laughat "springs up" ..jumps up... (Afrikaans direct translation - 'spring' in Afrikaans is to jump up or on).
Sentencing to be handed down on Tuesday

Judge Masipa thanks both sides. She has been impressed by how both sides have conducted themselves throughout the trial.

The court will reconvene on Tuesday at 9.30am South Africa time (8.30am BST) for sentence to be handed down.

Court adjourns.

catkins

Post by catkins » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 am

Hmmmm I wouldn't be placing any bets on how it will go.... :s_no
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am

Based on today's submissions, it's looking imo more likely that OP will go to prison. We'll have to wait till Tuesday to find out. It could be OP's last weekend of freedom.

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:30 am

catkins wrote:Hmmmm I wouldn't be placing any bets on how it will go.... :s_no
I'm sure the Judge had a reason why she asked Mr Nel to specify the term of imprisonment he would like the court to consider.

Chinagirl

Post by Chinagirl » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 am

How does Justice Masipa find a way through so many conflicting, yet valid arguments? From the defence, from the prosecution, to satisfy the letter of the law, not to mention morality and humanity? She managed to do this with the verdict she brought down; can she do it again with regard to sentencing?

To my non-legal mind, there seems to be a good case for showing some leniency. It is quite obvious that Pistorius is a broken man, but with professional help, guidance and counselling could yet become a contributing member of society, whereas sending him to prison is likely to completely destroy him emotionally and psychologically, with the fairly strong possibility that he could actually be killed, especially if he is put into the general prison population. He has shown contrition and remorse for his ill-considered action, despite the cousin saying she didn't feel his apology was sincere. I fail to see what else they expect of him - what more he could do. He has been supporting the Steenkamp family financially, without fanfare or publicity, since just after the killing last year, and has offered them a fairly substantial lump sum payment. Their ungracious rejection of this doesn't put them in a good light, in my opinion, and I find it somewhat distasteful that they have been bad-mouthing him for months while quietly accepting his money.

He has accepted responsibility for Reeva's death, and did so right from the outset. There was no need for Nel's dramatic display during the trial of her injuries while shouting at Pistorius to "take responsibility." The guilt and remorse for his utterly foolish and irresponsible behaviour that night will burden him for the rest of his life.

The only thing Nel said yesterday that I think is a point is the drawing attention to Oscar's disability, and therefore how unsuitable incarceration would be for him. He fought long and hard to be accepted to compete with able-bodied athletes, so it's not right to play the disability card now.

I am expecting a term of imprisonment - perhaps two to three years, but I think it is within the judge's remit to order strict stipulations on the conditions of his incarceration - at least, I hope it is within her remit, otherwise I don't think his well-being, if not his very life, is worth a spit in a South African prison.
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Jayelles

Post by Jayelles » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:08 pm

I shared a taxi with a couple from SA recently and they were very angry at the thought he might not go to jail. They said that emotions are running very high.

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Jayelles wrote:I shared a taxi with a couple from SA recently and they were very angry at the thought he might not go to jail. They said that emotions are running very high.
If they are high in the general population, then imagine what he faces in prison. The judge might as well bring back the death penalty just for him and do it humanely.

I have always been of the opinion that it was unintended. I could be totally wrong, but I do see that he should face imprisonment due to recklessness.

His celebrity does come into play because nobody in prison or outside it will be unaware of who he is. That makes him vulnerable to assault and death - something a 'normal' prisoner wouldn't face. His disability added to that makes him doubly vulnerable to assault and murder.

Imprisonment yes, but in a facility where he's protected from the inevitable murder attempt coming his way.
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

Cath

Post by Cath » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 pm

@ CG : good post, good points
Truthiness2 wrote:
Jayelles wrote:I shared a taxi with a couple from SA recently and they were very angry at the thought he might not go to jail. They said that emotions are running very high.
If they are high in the general population, then imagine what he faces in prison. The judge might as well bring back the death penalty just for him and do it humanely.

I have always been of the opinion that it was unintended. I could be totally wrong, but I do see that he should face imprisonment due to recklessness.

His celebrity does come into play because nobody in prison or outside it will be unaware of who he is. That makes him vulnerable to assault and death - something a 'normal' prisoner wouldn't face. His disability added to that makes him doubly vulnerable to assault and murder.

Imprisonment yes, but in a facility where he's protected from the inevitable murder attempt coming his way.
Bold, underlined. Me too.
I think he should be punished for his recklessness but I'm not sure if sending him to prison serves any other purpose than satisfying the lynch mob.
I wouldn't trust on the guards for protecting him/his life no matter in what prison facility it would be.
Unless he would be placed in quarantine perhaps. But that's usually used for really dangerous murderers, is it? It's a kind of extra punishment imo.

Anyway, I think if any harm comes to Pistorius that Nel should be prosecuted for causing it. I find him (Nel) a bloody vindictive liar and he uses witnesses who aren't shy to lie either. And let a hit man off the hook, gave him immunity. The same man who now (oh what a coincidence!) turns up in Court. :s_mad
In a lengthy ruling on Tuesday [28-04-2015], Amaral was found guilty of libelling the pair and ordered to pay them €250,000 each in damages. The judge also banned further sale of his book, the Truth of the Lie.

Chinagirl

Post by Chinagirl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:47 pm

http://www.iol.co.za/sundayindependent/ ... EQuZ1cdSuo

The sad irony inside Oscar court room
October 19 2014 at 09:04am

Mikey Schultz’s behaviour shows what happens when people get away with murder, says Jovial Rantao.

Johannesburg - Strange days we live in. The scenes inside and outside Court GD at the North Gauteng High Court remind us of the irony of our times, the contradictions contained in the many steps and pitfalls that we endure as a nation that is a work in progress.

Inside the courtroom, one of our country’s famous sons, Oscar Pistorius, is fighting to stay out of jail after he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Pistorius, supported by his expensive legal team, prevailed over the prosecution, led by advocate Gerrie Nel, who failed in his attempt to get the world-famous athlete convicted of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day just over a year ago.

Inside court on Thursday, Pistorius sat in the dock, on a bench behind Nel, listening to the State’s witness testifying on why prisons are good enough to accommodate an individual with Pistorius’s disability should the court decide to hand down a custodial sentence.

Behind Pistorius, a man who a few years ago got away with murder sat behind Pistorius, right next to the athlete’s family, in an exercise of bravado, arrogance and some, such as Aimee Pistorius, may argue, provocation. Pistorius’s family were clearly upset by the acts of Mikey Schultz and his friends, known not to be friends of Pistorius and asked the police to remove them.

The irony of this scene is inescapable.

Here you have Schultz, a man who confessed to killing businessman Brett Kebble and got away with it, prancing like a peacock, in and outside court like a celebrity.

Schultz took the life of Kebble, a father, a husband, a brother and son. And he did not get the punishment that fits the crime.

He and he co-conspirators got away by agreeing to a dubious deal with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).

Their deal, which included alleged mafia boss Glenn Agliotti, was that they could get away with murder and drug dealing as long as they assisted the NPA in the case against the then-national police commissioner Jackie Selebi.

So happy were some in the NPA that after Schultz escaped jail and justice, they were at the ringside at Caesar’s Palace, now Emperors, when the self-confessed killer made his boxing career debut. They all wore T-shirts with the words “Team Schultz” emblazoned on them.

Perhaps we could understand the arrogance displayed by Schultz and co because if you can get away with murder, what could be worse? You can waltz into a courtroom where Nel, with whom you struck a sweetheart deal, is centre stage and cause a scene and nothing will happen to you.

What a country.

Schultz sat in court where Steenkamp’s cousin Kim Martin argued that Pistorius should pay for what he has done and be sent to jail. She said someone who takes a life should be jailed so that a message could be sent to society that people cannot commit a crime and get away with it. Her remarks were meant for Judge Thokozile Masipa and the assessors who have to decide on Pistorius’s future. However, they could not be truer for Schultz, who sat between the Steenkamp and Pistorius families.

Schultz and co were in court in support of the State’s case and one wonders what the family of Kebble thought of their escape from justice and their behaviour in court this week.

Schultz’s behaviour, which irritated the Pistorius family, shows what happens when people get away with murder. They become arrogant, they are not remorseful, they don’t repent and change their ways and they show society the middle finger for not punishing them for the crimes they committed. In a sad way, the deal that the NPA struck a few years ago, clearly not in the interest of justice, has come back to haunt them.

Perhaps Schultz’s presence was the reason Nel is pushing so hard to have Pistorius jailed. He perhaps has to do so because the presence of the hired hand in court is a stark reminder of what happens when you “strike deals” in the name of justice when you are in fact, through your acts, circumventing justice.

Schultz left at lunch time. He did not have to wait until the end of the court day. He made his mark. He sent his message. And the irony was there for South Africans and the world, courtesy of international networks, to see.

Strange days indeed.

*Jovial Rantao is editor of The Sunday Independent.
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Spot on! Thanks ChinaGirl :s_thumbsup
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

Cath

Post by Cath » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks CG.
Perhaps we could understand the arrogance displayed by Schultz and co because if you can get away with murder, what could be worse? You can waltz into a courtroom where Nel, with whom you struck a sweetheart deal, is centre stage and cause a scene and nothing will happen to you.
He is a criminal who got away with murder, Pistorius is not convicted for murder but will probably (due to the vindictiveness of Nel) have to serve time in prison. :s_scratchhead
In a lengthy ruling on Tuesday [28-04-2015], Amaral was found guilty of libelling the pair and ordered to pay them €250,000 each in damages. The judge also banned further sale of his book, the Truth of the Lie.