Shrien Dewani walks FREE

Truthiness2

Shrien Dewani walks FREE

Post by Truthiness2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am

“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

Truthiness2

Re: Shrien Dewani walks FREE

Post by Truthiness2 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:19 am

Can't say I'm surprised.

The contradictions and implausibility of the men charged with her murder could only result in this decision.
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:38 am

Truthiness2 wrote:Can't say I'm surprised.

The contradictions and implausibility of the men charged with her murder could only result in this decision.

Yes agree re those involved...I haven't been following it closely.....but I did read last week Annis family asking...and I think the Judge should have allowed it to happen...Dewani made to give his personal account of what happened that night and it should have been given on the Stand....Her poor family are still in Limbo..... :s_cry
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Mobyra

Post by Mobyra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:15 pm

I expected this to happen, I must admit. IMO it's with this tragic case as it is with the equally tragic Meredith case, the person/s who are the actual perpetrators are already in jail. I understand it may be difficult for the families to accept, but part of the blame for that should be put on Prosecutors prone to indulge in wild conspiracies that they are incapable of proving. JMO of course.

Alibongo

Post by Alibongo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Common sense has prevailed imo!
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Cath

Post by Cath » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:17 pm

I think it's a right decision but I'll admit that I didn't expect this to happen.
The prosecutor was so keen on charging Dewani and getting him back in SA. Whilst he was lenient for the real killers.
Apparently he has convinced her family that it was Dewani who's caused her death.
In a lengthy ruling on Tuesday [28-04-2015], Amaral was found guilty of libelling the pair and ordered to pay them €250,000 each in damages. The judge also banned further sale of his book, the Truth of the Lie.

urcrazy

Post by urcrazy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:30 pm

Just like Meredith's family.

Real killers got off lightly. State expended much time, money and lost prestige in trying to prove a conspiracy alleged by guilty people trying to lighten their own punishment.

Dewani made a very long statement, which was read out in full. As I understand it no defendant can be forced to testify, so there was nothing the judge could do.
Reading twitter, most informed legal opinion in SA thought the dismissal could happen, as the judge had already expressed some frustration at the quality of the state's case.
Scotland Yard detectives believe Madeleine was abducted in "a criminal act by a stranger"

No Janine you poor deluded muppet, I am NOT John Lowe.
And neither, thankfully, are you.

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:29 pm

"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

urcrazy

Post by urcrazy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:48 pm

' Under South African law, a murder victim’s family is given the right of veto over whether the accused should be granted any plea bargain deal. Vinod Hindocha signed off on the deals granted to Tongo and Qwabe.

He said at the time: “The prosecutor asked me: ‘Vinod, do you approve of this if he tells the truth?’ I said yes, I want to know the truth about what happened to my Anni.”

Traverso ruled that Tongo didn’t tell the truth. The Hindochas had been misled.'

It's so sad.

Everyone's lives wrecked, for a very small amount of money.
Scotland Yard detectives believe Madeleine was abducted in "a criminal act by a stranger"

Carana

Post by Carana » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Why was he granted immunity?

The judge confirmed Monde Mbolombo, a self-confessed "link man", would no longer be granted immunity for his part in the plot.

The hotel receptionist admitted telling lies to the court to protect himself when the investigation first took hold. He had initially been granted immunity by prosecutors in return for being a state witness.

But the judge said: "As his evidence progressed, it became more and more clear of his involvement."

It will now be up to prosecutors to decide whether Mbolombo should face criminal proceedings.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-30375335
"A professor of mine used to say 'I have as a pet a coprophagic beetle, who eats only dung. His antennae quiver when he detects the presence of his food.'" - Edison, English-language Wikipedia Admin

urcrazy

Post by urcrazy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 pm

As far as I'm aware he was granted immunity because he agreed to testify against Dewani, and presumably others.

It was this man's role that always troubled me, he seemed to be at the centre of everything but wasn't going to get charged. If I was Ani's relative I would want him brought to justice.

Jayelles

Post by Jayelles » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I feel very sad for Anni's family. :s_cry

catkins

Post by catkins » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Jayelles wrote:I feel very sad for Anni's family. :s_cry

I do too......that's why I said they needed to hear it straight from Dewani...just what happened that night...
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Her family have been told by the authorities four years that he killed their daughter, they gave permission for one of her killers to have his punishment reduced, and they found at the trial that dewani had affairs with men, they heads must be all over the place now thanks to the prosecutors.
He was bisexual, but that doesn't mean he is barred from marrying a woman. They used a taxi driver to arrange tours, which is common in many places, and whilst in one of the most violent countries in the world and went to an especially tough area and became victims of a violent but far from unusual crime.