Eight children stabbed to death ....

Chinagirl

Eight children stabbed to death ....

Post by Chinagirl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:26 am

Another horrendous story out of Australia:

Eight children have been killed in Cairns in far north Queensland.

The victims were aged from 18 months to 15 years and it was believed a number of them were stabbed.
Follow all the developments in our live blog

A crime scene was set up at an address in suburban Manoora after emergency crews were called to Murray Street around 11:20am (AEST).

A 34-year-old woman was taken to hospital with a chest wound and was in a stable condition.

Detective Inspector Bruno Asnicar said she was helping police with their enquiries.

"As it stands at the moment, there's no need for the public to be concerned about this other than the fact that it's a tragic, tragic event," he said.

"The situation is well controlled at the moment.

"There shouldn't be any concern for anyone else out of this environment."
Detective Inspector Asnicar said the crime scene would be cordoned off for several days for forensic officers to investigate.

He said police were still working to establish the relationship between the children and the injured woman.

"The crime scene is being locked down and that includes from me - nobody goes in there until our forensic people go in there," he said.
Video: Queensland Police give early update on Cairns stabbing (ABC News)

"Until we have done that, we're not going to be able to clearly establish any relationships."

He said the woman being treated in hospital was not in police custody.

Emergency responders to the scene were visibly upset while many of the bystanders in the street were in shock and in tears.

"These events are extremely distressing for everyone of course, and police officers aren't immune from that. We're human beings as well," Detective Inspector Asnicar said.

"However, the police that we have here are very highly trained and professional people and they're going about their job in a way that I would expect them to and the QPS would expect them to.

"We are missing nothing as far as conducting this investigation."

ABC reporter Sharnie Kim said there were about a dozen police vehicles at the scene, as well as the region's most senior detective inspectors.

"Part of the road has been blocked off and a police paddy wagon with lights flashing is at the property as well," Kim said.
"I guess the most confronting thing is just seeing relatives and friends of the victims arriving on the scene and learning about these terrible events and being comforted by police, just sounding so unbelievably distressed.

"It's going to be a little bit of time, police have told us, before forensic police finish gathering evidence inside the house and some more details can be released."
Map of Cairns suburb of Manoora Photo: Murray Street in Manoora

One neighbour Bessie Mareko said she did not know those involved but would say hello when they were in the street.

Ms Mareko said she saw the woman and a number children at 2:00am this morning cleaning up their home and putting unwanted items on the street.

"I'm really shocked. I just saw her this morning on the veranda with her kids," she said.

Local MP Gavin King said he did not know the family directly but lived nearby.

"It's a street that's only a couple of minutes' drive from my own family home, and having been there so many times and attending community concerts in a park across from where this tragedy occurred ...

"It's just a tragedy that is really very difficult to come to terms with."

Premier Campbell Newman said he was deeply saddened and shocked by the incident.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those concerned," he said in a statement.

"I'm also aware of the impact this will have on the emergency service workers and police officers who responded to the scene, and I have asked the Acting Ministers to make sure those individuals are receiving the support they need.

"Indeed, the whole Cairns community and the people of Queensland will feel the effects of this tragedy, particularly at a time of year when families come together."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said news of the "unspeakable crime" was "heartbreaking".

"All parents would feel a gut-wrenching sadness at what has happened," he said in a statement.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-19/c ... ng/5979452
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.
It's because someone took her.

Alibongo

Re: Eight children stabbed to death ....

Post by Alibongo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 am

That's terrible!
:s_sad
They're saying on the news that she was a very proud mother clearly something has caused her to snap.
Parent-blaming is all-too-common these days, and usually the point is to make other parents feel better about their own parenting skills

Chinagirl

Post by Chinagirl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 am

A summary, from The Guardian, of what is known so far:

The day's events in Cairns

A traumatic day in Cairns to round off a rotten week. Here’s what we know:

Police were called to a house in Murray Street, in the Cairns suburb of Manoora, at around 11.30am.
They found a 34-year-old woman with a chest injury along with the bodies of eight children aged between 18 months and 15 years.
The children had reportedly been stabbed to death, although police said they could not confirm this was the method of murder for all of the children.
The 34-year-old woman is the mother of seven of the eight children, police said. Lisa Thaiday, a cousin of the woman, said the children are all siblings and are of Torres Strait Islander background.
Police have said there are no formal suspects at this time, with investigation ongoing. However, they stress the public is not at risk.
Tony Abbott called the tragedy an “unspeakable crime.” He added that “these are trying days for our country.”
Bill Shorten, the opposition leader, said it was “just the saddest tragedy at the end of one of the toughest weeks for our nation,” in reference to the Sydney hostage siege that left two fo the hostages dead.
[T]hose children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared. (Fatima de Oliveira Esteves)

Wrong.

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 am

:s_cry

What on earth has happened to this poor family? :s_omg :s_sad
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

catkins

Post by catkins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:56 am

:Bang_head more innocent lives gone..... :s_cry

Must have been some kind of mental breakdown...... :s_cry
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

urcrazy

Post by urcrazy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:42 am

Some people think a man is being sought for this? While I assumed, perhaps wrongly, it was the mother.
Scotland Yard detectives believe Madeleine was abducted in "a criminal act by a stranger"

No Janine you poor deluded muppet, I am NOT John Lowe.
And neither, thankfully, are you.

catkins

Post by catkins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 am

urcrazy wrote:Some people think a man is being sought for this? While I assumed, perhaps wrongly, it was the mother.
I did too because of the News reports.... :s_dunno
Madeleine McCann- Abducted May 2007 from Praia Da Luz, Algarve, Portugal.
DCI Redwood of Scotland Yard - stated that Madeleine could still be found - alive.
https://www.facebook.com/Official.Find. ... ign?_rdr=p

Hael

Post by Hael » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Terrible news. :s_sad
The trolls funding a shamed coppers right to lie about Kate and Gerry McCann are a new level of weirdo.[omitted] they may have destroyed all hope for good.Talking up conspiracy theories is one thing.Wrecking the search for an abducted child is another.-The Sun

Truthiness2

Post by Truthiness2 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 pm

It was the mother :s_cry
“‎"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.”
― John Wooden

Whiterose

Post by Whiterose » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Awful news, so sad, how anyone can kill children I don't know. :s_cry
"The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests."

Epictetus

Jayelles

Post by Jayelles » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Whiterose wrote:Awful news, so sad, how anyone can kill children I don't know. :s_cry
It's like the whole world has gone completely mad. It seems like every day has reported a new and unbelievable tragedy :(

Chinagirl

Post by Chinagirl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:51 pm

It seems the perpetrator was the mother ...... :s_cry

Wrong.

Jayelles

Post by Jayelles » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:13 pm

I just cannot get my head around this tragedy. :s_cry

Winter

Post by Winter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:21 pm

My God what a terrible story. :s_cry
"there is a big difference between a few sordid insults, and publicly accusing someone of committing a serious crime - which is a crime in itself" AnnaEsse (Oh the irony!)

Chinagirl

Post by Chinagirl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:47 am

I have found this event absolutely gut-wrenching. What on earth happened to this mother to cause her to commit such a dreadful crime? :s_cry

Cairns woman charged with murder of eight children: Bodies found in Manoora house

ABC
December 21, 2014, 1:28 pm

A 37-year-old mother is charged with the murder of seven of her children and her niece after their bodies were found at a home in Cairns, in far north Queensland, on Friday.

The four girls and four boys aged between two and 14 were discovered at a home on Murray Street in the Cairns suburb of Manoora.

Mersane Warria, who is the mother of seven of the deceased children and aunt of the eighth, has been charged with eight counts of murder.

She appeared before a magistrate in a bedside hearing at the Cairns Base Hospital this morning.

Warria was remanded in police custody and currently remains in hospital.

Police have said they would not name the children for cultural reasons.

Post-mortems were being carried out to determine the exact cause of death of each of the children.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/2583062 ... -children/

Wrong.